Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Blogging about Blogging?


Blogging is a strange beast. For some people it's a very easy way to build a website. For others it's an attempt at making money. For some it just about having a voice online, that the whole world can read their thoughts, and what their cat had for dinner. There is millions and millions of Blogs out there. Most aren't that great, but as long as the person writing it is having fun, it doesn't matter.
...
What annoys me about Blogging now, is the sheer number of Blogs that are about nothing more than, er, Blogging! How to build a massive following, how to make $50,000 a week from advertising, how to make the best Blog in the world, how to get the best search results. How to write that perfect post, which will change the world forever.
...
A lot of it just feels like Blogging for Blogging sake, and nothing to do with providing something that people actually want to read.
Some Blogs are truly excellent in their own niche. This very post is leaning towards that whole concept of taking about Blogging on a Blog. I just wish there was more interesting content on more Blogs and a few less Blog experts, telling everyone how to make another Blog expert Blog.
...
I think within the Blogosphere (did I just use that phrase for the very first time?) it's almost impossible to replicate the content, or success of ProBlogger - which is probably one of the only Blogs worth reading to learn how to Blog successfully. Almost every other Blog about Blogging that I've read, has been a poor imitation of ProBlogger. Darran Rowse got there first (or at least early enough) and has the whole thing sewn up now, in my opinion. It's like someone trying to start another Microsoft. It just won't work, unless you can be 100 times better. Being just as good, or almost as good doesn't cut it at all.
...
This could just be me, not understanding what motivates people to Blog. I personally don't read Blogs to learn how Blog. I read them for interesting content. I'm not interested if other Bloggers want to read my Blog. They won't find any 'secrets' to my success (mainly because their isn't any success). I don't aim my Blog content at other Bloggers, I aim it at people who like cartoons. When I first started out, I didn't have a clue who it was aimed at. For a short time I was taken in by all the hype surrounding Blogging. I now realise I'm a cartoonist, not really a Blogger at all. I'm just using this Blog as a tool, to deliver my cartoons to the online world.
...
When I first started Blogging, I was interested in finding out everything I possibly could about Blogging. ProBlogger, and all it's imitations were fascinating, for around a month, and then I became very bored with reading the same old 'magic' tricks which didn't result in a million hits per day, or lead me to vast wealth. Yes, they'll all tend to say that it's all about the quality of the content, but in doing so most of them are providing very poor quality content themselves!
...
Bloggers, wake up. There is no magic route to great success and fortune. For some exceptional Blogs, there is, but we can't all replicate that success, just by typing a few words on our own Blogs or slaving away at updating them every single day, just to please the 50 people who read it everyday. Blogging should be fun, and should be about communicating within a niche that isn't possible in any other way.
...
Bloggers bitching about other Blogs is also quite irritating, but that is the subject of another post!
...
I got the idea for this post from:
http://honestknowledge.com/warriorblog/ Who advises to be contravesal in a Blog post, to get lots of hits and money and things. For a Blog about Blogging, it isn't as bad as the majority out there.
...
Comments, as always are most welcome. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has taken offence at this article, and disagrees with my views, and even better, tell me where I can find an informative, and yet interesting Blog about Blogging (that is better than the two Blogs mentioned).

0 comments:

Post a Comment